Over 188 UK small and medium business responded to Browser Media’s survey at the London Business Show, providing insight into how SMEs are using and investing in online marketing today.
The survey highlighted:
- SME managers and owners are familiar with social media marketing, email marketing and SEO.
- Over 50% manage their digital activities in-house and one third have Agency support.
- The least familiar online marketing tactics are content marketing, affiliate marketing and inbound marketing.
- Eight out of ten (79%) small to medium sized enterprises (SMEs) say their website is critical or very important to their business
- Only 28% are happy with their company’s Google rankings
- Only four in ten (43%) of these SMEs are actively investing in marketing their website to improve their web presence
- Of those businesses who do invest in digital marketing, just over half (69%) undertake this solely in-house, and a third (31%) have some levels of agency support.
- Those businesses that seek external expertise are more satisfied with their online presence and visibility than those who undertake all the work in house.