Keyword List Building 101
Some of sources used for the initial keyword research were:
- The kickoff meeting with the client
- A preliminary search of the major engines
- Previous (or current) paid search campaigns
- The advertiser’s site(s) and competitor sites
- The advertiser’s site level web analytics systems
- Engine and third party keyword suggestion tools
- Keyword monitoring tools
- SEO software
- Competitive intelligence platforms
- Industry research sites
- Social media research tools
Here are some important things to keep in mind when building up your keyword list.
- There’s no such thing as too many terms.
- Do your own market research.
- Use keyword suggestion tools again – keyword suggestion tools such as Google’s and WordTracker’s
- Find jargon and slang.
- Don’t forget misspellings or plurals.
- Check the advertiser’s site again
- Include brand and product names.
- Don’t dismiss terms because you think they might be too expensive or didn’t work before.
- Use competitor terms (you can still use them in Google).