Twitter’s new Web functionality is a significant evolution that promises to attract more visits to Twitter.com, improve Twitters’ interactions with content and each other, and ease adoption for Twitter newbie’s.
Twitter is about to make the biggest change to its interface in years when it adds photos and videos in the stream. What will it look like?
- New design: You will now find @mentions, retweets, searches, and lists just above your timeline – creating a single, streamlined view on the left of the screen.
- Videos: This tweet contains a link to an embedded photos and videos directly on Twitter, thanks to partnerships with Daily Booth, Deviant Art, Etsy, Flickr, Justin.TV, Kickstarter, Kiva, Photozou, Plixi, Twitgoo, Twitpic, Twitvid, USTREAM, Vimeo, Yfrog, and You Tube in the detail pane.
- Maps: Tweet is a check-in via services such as foursquare; the detail pane displays a map. If other services such as Gowalla, Yelp, Loopt etc… would make much better
- Pictures: If the tweet includes a link to a picture posted using services such as Flickr, Daily Booth, Twitpic and Deviant Art, that image appears in the detail pane. Even Picasa included would be easy to make the updates
- Hashtags: If you click on a #hashtag within a tweet, the detail pane conveys up-to-the-moment search results.
- Mini profiles: This provides quick access to account information, including bio and recent Tweets.
- Products: A tweet containing a link to a product on Etsy or other select eCommerce sites will cause a product image to display in the detail pane.
- Replies: A small icon appears in tweets whenever one Twittered responds to another. Click the arrow and the prior conversation is presented within the detail pane.
- Discover related content: Depending on the Tweet’s content, you may see: @replies, other Tweets by that same user, a map of where a Geo Tagged Tweet was sent from, and more.
- Rollout Timing: You’ll be able to switch back and forth so you have time to grow accustomed to the way things work. Eventually, everyone will have the updated version of Twitter.com.
Besides the Twittering and Social Networking, I also plan to attend the upcoming events in IIMB by passionate members of OMEBang by next week.
Here is the link for the registration: http://omebang.eventbrite.com/
If you are at the event, don’t be shy and come say hello, I look forward to meeting new faces.